Why I Left Wicca

I've been trained as a McFarland Dianic Wiccan High Priestess and have spent the last 12 years referring to myself as wiccan. (Though I never had "Wiccan" listed on my dog tags, instead choosing "No Religious Preference".) In fact the original title of this blog was "Advanced Wicca". The more and more I reflected on the differences between a witch and wiccan I've come to realize that I've never been much of a wiccan. While the two groups do share some common deities, there are marked differences in theology and core beliefs.

The main tenet of wicca I can't follow is the last words of the Wiccan Rede, "an' ye harm none, do as ye will". I don't believe in harming none. To truly harm none would mean there was no healing, no justice, no protection, no defense, and no bar b q's with burgers and hot dogs - as a proud bar-b-q-snob-Texan with family members who own a beef cattle ranch in Oklahoma, red meat is just part of my life. To heal you don't sweetly ask a stomach flu causing bacteria to go away while being sensitive to its feelings - ya kill it. Many times healing requires inflicting pain on the patient - removing a splinter, re-setting a bone, cleaning out a wound. Justice, protection and defense are requirements to life on this planet. If no one ever protected their loved ones or defended their home, we'd all be eaten by bears. It's human nature to feel all those things, and as a witch I acknowledge and work with nature. Being a wise witch means knowing how to harness ones thoughts, feelings and actions for constructive purposes. Harming for the sake of harming is a loss of control that is destructive. Harming for the sake of healing and growth is wisdom that is constructive.

I've heard wiccans argue that the rede is not a black and white edict, but rather means to not do "black magick". Okay, then what's "black magick"? 'Well doing a spell for selfish reasons of course!' Really? Black magick or not, I'm still putting a sleeping spell on the neighbor's dog to keep it from barking all night long unless there's a burglar or fire. 'Black magick is working your will to harm someone!' Then I'm guilty. My ex cheated on me and lost being promoted because every time he did the smallest thing wrong, he was caught. I don't call it black magick; I call it calling in a karmic debt.

I believe that spells such as curses and hexes are negative things. I also believe that negative and positive are forces which are meant to be balanced. One of my matron Goddesses is Hecate. For all the prayers to Her I find in wiccan books it's amazing that no wiccan seems to understand that She's not a light, fluffy bunny loving mother. She's a dangerous, warring, revenge-is-ok momma who doesn't accept lies or anyone harming Her babies.

I don't run around cursing every jerk who cuts me off in traffic or am angry all the time. I'm balanced. I see the good and the bad and react accordingly. One of my daily habits is to recite the 5 principles of Reiki "just for today: I will not worry, I will not anger, I will show respect to every living thing, I will do my work honestly, I will live the attitude of gratitude." These are all venerable goals for my day, but it doesn't mean I feel guilty if I'm not perfect. They're just a reminder to me that I choose my actions, I choose my reactions, and everything I do is a reflection on my integrity.

I've chosen to leave the wiccan path and stop calling myself a wiccan because my core beliefs don't coincide with those taught in wicca. I'm a witch, always have been. Plus I hate all the fluff bunnies who are pot addicted  that have carved a lasting stereotype in most people's minds about who a wiccan is and does.

If wiccan means 'wise one' and marijuana destroys brain cells, why is there the stereotype that wiccans are drug addicted hippies? Though stereotypes are generalizations that are unfair to many people, the truth is stereotypes don't materialize from thin air.

14 comments:

  1. A biting article I realize, but I wanted to explain the main reason for the change of title for this blog. Just because everyone won't share my opinions doesn't mean I won't still share them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it better! I read a blog the other day from someone who also follows Hecate and she stated that she no longer follows the Wiccan path because the Wiccan religion/traditions were created/written or party written by a man, and she preferred to follow the Goddess in a way that was not dictated/directed by a Man....she didn't come across as a "man hater" but was quite lovely in her explanation. I realized she had raised a very good question and perhaps that is what has been bothering me --

    My pet peeve is while being Wiccan tradition trained, I was let to believe I must purchase and must use certain items as instructed by the teacher-- very restricting and limiting. This is true of a religion, certain rituals and ritual items are needed. However, I feel more free as a Witch than as Wiccan because ya just don't need "stuff" to either worship the Goddess or work your magick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing, as a Crone and as a follower of Hecate, I would warn that one should never lie to Hecate, and keep your word to Her -- because She could decide to turn you over to your "addictions" whatever those may be -- if you do. You are correct, Hecate is not a fluffy bunny kind of Goddess. Anyone who would attempt to practice magick or psychic exercises while under the influence of narcotics,(even some that are prescribed like pain killers) alcohol, or when they are ill, or while they are tired risk opening themselves to future mental and health problems. Many Witches/Wiccans who suffer ill health later in life may not even connect it to their earlier practices. In addition, magick works better for a Witch who is physically fit and has good nutrition (notice I did not say young or skinny, just health and fit -- HaHa)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great comments! I actually need to do an article about nutrition and health, because so many neglect it. I've actually met a Wiccan who believed that many in the pagan community developed cancer because they performed magick - umm, I think it's the heavy drinking, smoking,obesity and opening onesself to STDs. Thank you for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this. Its given me a lot to think about.


    -Starbucks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment! We're glad this article has been of interest to you and are glad to share our personal journies so we may all learn from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stating this position so well. I have been a Witch for a long time and argued against accepting the term "wicca" to describe to the public who we were. I was, of course, voted down and considered a radical. So be it. I am a Witch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your experience. "Wicca" has become a popular term for public use because of the lingering negative stereotypes associated with being a witch and practicing witchcraft.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol. I love this. By your definition I am not Wiccan either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Defense is indeed important. This calls for wisdom as you said. I also love Hecate, Goddess of the crossroads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel you, on alot of things you wrote. As far as the crust girls let's face it there's always going to be extremists on every side with louder voices than yours. It doesn't make them right just louder then the level. I have to disagree with you. I think you were feeling restrained because you weren't seeing things from a certain veiw. I'm hedge witch I always had hard time finding others (and others I'd want to practice with) you can't be a fluff ball but you can't be the opposite either by choosing this faith you accepted a great deal of personal power or influence or whatever you want to call it. The "an it harm none" is there to tell us to stay neutral. With the ability to manifest you can upset the scales that nature has so perfectly ballanced. People are supposed to suffer hardships and grow. Your example with the illness you shouldn't be asking for the ailments end but the strength in your body to repel it. Making you stronger and not needing a spell next time around. Atleast that's how I see it. I hope all is well :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's a misconception here. The Rede does not tell us to harm none. That's the Hippocratic Oath, not the Wiccan Rede. The Rede tells us not to sweat it over acts that don't harm. It's a statement of empowerment not of limitation. To add, the Rede was made popular by HPS Doreen Valiente a good 10 years after Wicca was founded by Gerald Gardner. The REDE DOES NOT DEFINE WICCA. It never did.

    Jeesh. The myths about Wicca and the Rede by people who should know better is boggling. Educate yourselves on Wiccan history please.

    ReplyDelete